Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Can you tell me how long a small dog can live without food

Can you tell me how long a small dog can live without food? He last ate on Monday. He had an antibiotic injection on Tuesday and has slept since then waking to go for a wee or a drink of water. He is a tiny dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Dogs can go days to a week without food but this will cause a severe wasting and other issues. It is best to take Kimber back to your vet for another exam...since he is elderly, there could be many things going on that could be treated....your vet should run lab work to determine what is causing this.

For now, give him a dose of Nutrical every 4 hrs. This is a high calorie supplement that can be purchased at the pet store and will give Kimber the nutrients he needs to get past this....

If he will not drink, he could becoming dehydrated and this is treated with 1-2 ounces of Pedialyte every 4 hrs...

Take Kimber back to your vet....

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX