Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, I'd like to help. Are you trying to reat an allergic situation (bee sting, hives, flea bites ect)?Then Benedryl (diphenhydramine only, the combination products with acetaminophen or decongestants are toxic for dogs) at 1mg per poung or two 25mg capsules per 50 pound dog every 8 hours is perfect. You may see some drowsiness or hypoeractivity but these side effects afre normal and should lessen with repeated use. If you are treating an allergic reaction use Benedryl for at least 72 hours to allow the allergen to leave the dog's system.Do not use in dogs with prostatic hypertrophy or hypertension, urinary tract obstruction, glaucoma, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Let me know if you have further questions.