How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriticalCareVet Your Own Question
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 63982
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
CriticalCareVet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

beagle: shaking..gurgling..vet earlier today..She ate dinner

This answer was rated:

Our dog (a beagle) is shaking and her stomach is making a gurgling sound. We took her to the vet earlier today (she is just getting over pneumonia) and they recommended more antibiotics for her after examining her. She ate dinner when we returned home. Moments ago, I saw a mushroom on the ground in our backyard. I don't know if she took a small bite or not.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) Is she on the same antibiotics as before, just a longer course?

2) Is there any part of the mushroom that looks ingested?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Same antibiotics as before. A small piece of the mushroom looks as though it may have been bitten, but I cannot really tell.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In addition, if she did eat some of the mushroom, it would have been several hours ago.
Most mushrooms out there are completely harmless.

With that said, there are a certain subset of mushrooms which can be quite toxic, causing not only stomach upset, but liver disease, kidney disease, neurological signs, and even organ failure.

While this may be nausea alone, if the signs do not resolve, or you wanted to be proactive, the recommendation would be to go to your veterinarian or the local ER for evaluation, bloodwork, and supportive care. They will likely give fluids, medication for nausea, and charcoal to reduce absorption.

These links may help as well!

 

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/mushroom-poisoning-in-dogs/page1.aspx

 

http://www2.aspca.org/aspcablog/2006/09/ask-apcc-are-mushrooms-poisonous-to.html


I hope this information helps and guides you!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.


Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.


You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

CriticalCareVet and 3 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you