How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12252
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog ate a hibiscus flower are they toxic to dogs

Resolved Question:

my dog ate a hibiscus flower are they toxic to dogs?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Yes, hibiscus can be toxic to dogs...

dogdoc4u :

From the ASPCA website: "Hibiscus species can be potentially toxic, possibly causing significant gastrointestinal upset that could lead to dehydration. Drooling, loss of appetite and depression are also possible. Typically, these effects are seen in cases of single exposures to a significant amount of the plant material, rather than the chronic ingestion of small amounts. However, due to its toxic potential, we advise keeping hibiscus out of your dog’s reach."


 

Customer:

thank you , she is lethargic and basically laying around like she is overheated

dogdoc4u :

Is there a chance she ingested a hibiscus flower or did you catch her with one?

Customer:

she ingested one

dogdoc4u :

OK, so likely this is a result

Customer:

yes most likely

dogdoc4u :

Has she had any indication of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, retching) or diarrhea?

Customer:

no she has not had any of those symptoms. It has been less than one hour

dogdoc4u :

Is there any gurgling of her stomach at all?

Customer:

no gurgling

dogdoc4u :

It might be warranted to induce vomiting to get it out of her system if it has been less than an hour

dogdoc4u :

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide?

Customer:

yes

dogdoc4u :

How much does she weigh?

Customer:

20 pound boston terrier

Customer:

7 months old

dogdoc4u :

So she should get 2 tsp of hydrogen peroxide then agitate her stomach by giggling it or walking...repeat in 15 minutes if no response

Customer:

ok thank you!

Dr. Altman and 3 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you