ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
59144988

Liver enzymes are low, what can cause and what can be done

Liver enzymes are low, what can cause and what can be done?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Is Cody showing any signs of illness?
Was this medication prescribed for low liver enzymes?
Any weight loss?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was very nervous and panting all day when he was first seen, could not seem to get comfortable. He did take a muscle relaxer with the liver pills. the medicine matxxarbamol spelling may be wrong. this did not change his liver enzymes. He has not lost weight.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.
The only time I worry about low liver enzymes is when a see a dog that I think is in complete liver failure (very sick) or a puppy that is showing signs of a genetic defect. The liver enzymes are released into the blood stream at low levels all the time and some dogs are naturally lower than others. They become abnormally elevated when there is inflammation or damage to liver cells. Low liver enzymes are not usually a concern and no treatment is indicated.
I suspect the medicine you are referring to is methacarbamol which is a muscle relaxant often used when dogs have back pain.

If you wanted to be certain nothing is wrong with the liver, you could do a test called a bile acids test.

I don't feel this is indicated at this time if the symptoms you were seeing resolved unless there are other factors that your vet was concerned about.

When the li
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, my dog had an urgent call for outside he is now having loose bowels. I gave you the wrong medicine it Dnamarinor S-Adenosylmethione

It looked like part of your message did not show it ended with "When the li "

ther wer 5 different things wrong with the liver blood test.

Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, that was just a typographical error.

Is there any way you can post the values and are you sure they were low?

The medicine you mentioned is a nutritional supplement that can help liver function
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wasn't given that information. All I know for sure is the values are off and the medicine did not help. Vet does think at his age she would go further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still waiting hope to get more informaion.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.
Without knowing what is abnormal, it will be difficult to comment and give you any specific recommendations except that to get a definitive diagnosis of what type of liver disease is present, an abdominal ultrasound and liver biopsy will probably be needed.
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.