Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.

My 13 lb Pekingese dog has been suffering from diarrhea today.

Customer Question

My 13 lb Pekingese dog has been suffering from diarrhea today. She has had 3 bouts of diarrhea and vomited once. She has required 3 baths due to the diarrhea today. She clearly doesn't feel good.
Over the past week she had a change in diet which she enjoyed: Merrick brand "Cowboy Cookout". She ate this for several days without ill effect.
Over the weekend, she went swimming in a private pool - one short swim on Saturday and another short swim on Sunday. Each swim was less than 10 minutes.
On Sunday, after her swim, she was dozing in the shade, and my adult nephew started to pat her gentlely. She suddenly startled and bit his finger. She actually held on tight and held on. This of course shocked all of us. I am wondering if this was due to not feeling good, although we didn't know at the time that she didn't feel good. It was out of character.
On Monday we came home but she seemed larthargic. By Monday night she had a gurglely stomach. She returned to her regular diet: Science Diet, but has not eaten much if any of this food since our return. I offered her an ice cube today, to hydrate her she initially was quite excited to get it, but she let it melt on the floor.
I'm worried about the continued diarhea and the posibility of dehydration.
The diarhea continues to be brown and not yellow bile colored.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Lucky does sound like she is not feeling well. You could give her some broth to drink for hydration if she would drink chicken or beef broth with no fat. Then cook for her some rice and boiled chicken. I usually do 3 parts boiled white rice to 1 part boiled chicken breast and feed that for several days then you could either go back to Science Diet or the Merrick Brand.

If you had some Kaopectate you could give her a teaspoon 4 times a day for a couple of days. That should fix her up but if not then you will need to see your vet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I will jump out to buy a can of broth and the Kaopectate and give a try. Thank you very much.
You are very welcome.