Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has bumps and sores all over his head and neck, not

My dog has bumps and sores all over his head and neck, not the rest of his body. They are turning into sores and getting pretty bad. They are mostly around his eyes and ears. It has been about 2 weeks, and they are getting worse. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like a hypersensitivity reaction or some chronic allergic condition. The sores/bumps is likely some secondary pyoderma, skin infection.

It sounds like in addition to antibiotics, you should discuss with your vet about a short course of some steroids, as well as, antihistamines.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

There may be some topical antibiotic/steroid sprays you could also ask your vet about starting to help out as well (avoid getting in eyes).

Definitely, well worth the antihistamines and discussing the steroids (at least for a brief time) to get some resolution.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could it have anything to do with the fact that he had a really bad hot spot about a month ago, in which he was covered in bumps on his head n neck as well. They went away for about a week and now they are back. Could it be mites? it seems like an extreme allergic reaction of it is just an allergy..
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Mites generally will not result in a "hives" like reaction. I can't say no, but it is less likely.

I can't rule-out a environmental (atopy) or food allergy versus a hypersensitivity reaction.

Seems like the primary problem from a month ago still persists.