CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

how do you treat bed sores on a dog

how do you treat bed sores on a dog>?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

I would be glad to help!

If there are true sores / wounds, t is recommended to clean the area itself. If possible, shaving with clippers (not scissors) is recommended to remove hair and debris. Please do not use scissors as you can accidentally cut the skin.

Then I would recommend purchasing a Chlorhexiderm shampoo, or other type of antibacterial shampoo from your local pet store to wash and scrub the area.

If your dog can lick at these areas, getting an e-collar from the pet store is also recommended to prevent further self-trauma. The E-collar should be used until the skin is healed.

Once cleaned, you can use topical neosporin on the area twice daily.

You can also go to the local grocery store in the first aid section and purchase sterile gauze to cover the area.

Warm compressing the area for 10-15 minutes 2-3 times per day may also provide some relief.

If the skin does not heal well, or looks worse with the therapy above, there are times when a dog will need systemic antibiotics, which you can discuss with your veterinarian...

But i hope the above information is helpful in making your dog feel better!
____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the wounds are on her elbows and have busted open with tons of fluid coming out. we have but little peroxide and betadine on it. should we wrap it up tightly so the swelling will not come back? we also gave her a shot of penicillen and plan to for the next few days. So do we wrap it up or not? she cannot stand or sit up because of the sores. she has been down for 1 week due to a small heat stroke.
A wrap with sterile gauze would be a good idea.
_____________________________________________________________________