Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My 11yr old dog has dry flaky patches that look like scabs(on

My 11yr old dog has dry flaky patches that look like scabs(on her back so she can't lick them) but no ooosing or redness but is spreading.What can I use on it to heal this mess.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a couple things that could be causing this.....if this is just caused by dry skin, giving a daily supplement of Derm Caps or Vitacoat which have vitamins and Omega 3 fatty acids for a healthy coat. I would also recommend weekly shampoos with Sebalyte or Malaseb which will remove the flakes and add moisture.

Because of your dogs age, I worry that this condition is caused by an underlying hypothyroid condition. For this reason, have your girl checked for this by your vet to be sure...if she is hypothyroid, supplementing with thyroxine will cure this skin condition.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a shampoo that contains 2% chloroxylenol, 2% Salicylic Acid, 2% Sodium Thiosulfate,Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Propylene Glycol, Cocamide DEA, Polyquatermium-10,Fragrance, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone. Can I use this. I also have one called Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo. 3%Chlorhexidine, 2.5% LipacideC8G,0,5% Climbazole and phytosphingosine salicyoyl 0.05%. Is either one of these 2 good to use on her? If not I'll have to send for something else and what is the name of something you recommend?
These are both good shampoos because they contain ingredients that will kill off bacterial and fungal elements that may be causing this....It is worth a try but if you have been using this, then it is not working,,,The Malaseb or Sebalyte will be better as long as there is not an underlying hypothyroid condition.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't used either one of these so which one should I start using now?
I would start with the Duoxo Chlorhexidine shampoo...this has the ingredients to kill of fungal and bacterial problems but does not have fillers which the first one you mentioned has this weekly.