Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is suddenly acting like she is drunk. Her head is wobbly

My dog is suddenly acting like she is drunk. Her head is wobbly and she is walking sideways. She ate a little bite of pizza crust after she started acting this way, but she will not drink. Why would she act this way?
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - It's quite unusual for a 13 mo. old dog to suddenly act "vestibular" (balance off) unless she ate a recreational or prescription drug. Another possibility is that you're seeing the aftermath of a "silent" seizure. Is there a possibility of her finding a dropped pill or other drug?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is possible she may have found a dropped pill or ingested a plant when she was outside. There are also 4 other dogs in the house, and none of them are acting this way.
The most common drugs and prescription medications my patients get into are marijuana and psychoactive drugs such as Prozac and Valium. Dogs would have to eat an enormous amount of marijuana to cause death - my patients sleep it off within 12-96 hours and awake well rested. The prescription "downer" drugs are well-tolerated unless many pills are ingested at once - Animal Poison Control should be consulted if you can find exactly what was eaten. Their number is XXXXX I can't rule out head trauma as a cause of what you're seeing - do the dogs roughhouse with Honey? Is a concussion a possibility? Is she stabile? Normalizing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the other dogs do roughhouse with Honey. She hit her head yesterday, or should I say Monday morning, but she jumped up and ran playing with the other dogs. She has been acting normal all day until this evening when she began displaying "drunken" symptoms. She seems to be stabilizing. Her breathing and heartrate seem to be normal. I found her chewing on a stem from a marijuana plant, could that cause the drunken behavior she is displaying?
Yes, you found the culprit. She didn't hurt her head. She's stoned. As I mentioned, all my dogs who have eaten marijuana do just fine, and it sounds as if she's going to do well too. Play music for her.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob Marley music?This may have taught my son a very valuable lesson in leaving his messes lying around? Is it normal for her to not wanna eat or drink?
Most any music sounds better...yes, when dogs are disoriented they rarely eat or drink. They don't get the muchies...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help, Dr. Salkin. You have been so helpful. We can rest tonight knowing that she will be fine after she sleeps it off.
You're quite welcome. My best to Honey!
Thank you for your kind accept.