Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

My dog has a polyp in his left ear canal which was bleeding

Customer Question

My dog has a polyp in his left ear canal which was bleeding this morning bright red blood. My question is a polyp consider a tumor and what % are malignant?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Customer :

Hello

Customer :

Do u have any info?

Dr. Deb :

Polyps themselves are primarily benign. If it's not actually a polyp, but a mass of another type, it really depends on biopsy results. There are cancerous tumors that can devolop in the ear canal. Has a biopsy been taken as of yet?

Customer :

No I am to see a specialist. I worriy about cancer

Dr. Deb :

How old is your dog, and what breed is he?

Dr. Deb :

If he is an older dog (more than 5-years), I worry more about cancer than I would in a younger dog. And then it depends on the breed. Some breeds are prone to certain cancers. Definately see the specialist. I'm sure they will biopsy... unless they can clearly tell from looking at it that it's just a polyp. But more often than not, we can't ever tell you definitively if a mass is cancer just by looking at it. They may do a fine needle aspirate first. Sometimes a mass can be diagnosed just by the aspirate.

Dr. Deb :

I hope all goes well...

Dr. Deb :

Hi there... Even though you have made a deposit to Just Answer, I am not paid unless you accept the answer/information I provided.

I hope that our conversation and the information I provided was helpful. If so, if you would please click on the accept icon, so that I may be compensated for my time and effort.

Sincerely,

Dr. Deb