Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.
23926829

My dog got road rash on the trail today. He was bleeding on

My dog got road rash on the trail today. He was bleeding on both front paws. I was trying to see how he would do with me on a mountain bike. The first 8th inch layer is gone. from the palm pad. Is there a serious threat of infection here? How should i treat this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Jenn :

HI there

Customer: Hello
Dr. Jenn :

Systemic antibiotics would help speed up healing, but it is not wrong to try the neosporin first. You can stop bandaging after 48 hours, make sure they are not too tight. I would of course continue to put the boots on when he goes outside to prevent the chance of infection. I would apply the ointment 3-4 times daily. If there is not much improvement after a few days be sure to let your vet know as further treatment may be needed.

Customer: Hello again. Im on an i phone.
Dr. Jenn :

Customer: what is systemic? Pills or shot?
Dr. Jenn :

pills

Customer: So they will grow back if all goes well?
Dr. Jenn :

yes, paw pads heal slowly.

Customer: Thank you for your time. Im dog sitting my gf's dog. Just wanted to give him some good excercise. Have a nice day.
Dr. Jenn :

Take care