Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.
22217170

My dog has an MRSA middle ear infection. I first thought he

My dog has an MRSA middle ear infection. I first thought he had an ear infection 5/24 but the Vet did not agree until 6/28. I took my dog in many times between the 2 dates. He was also always sniffling and sneezing and had a drippy nose. He was losing weight and regurgitating. the vet put him on one baytril 68 mg tab twice a day on 6/28. A week later he decided to drain and clean the left middle ear under anesthesia. He left the right ear alone because he did not see pus. When he flushed the ear, he sent a sample to a lab and it came back MRSA. In the meantime, my dog got fluid in his lungs, maybe from when he regurgitated. The MRSA came back susceptible to Baytril, so he kept him on it, same dose. He also gave me diluted ear drops at the time of the surgery to put in his ear (equal parts Baytril/saline/dex in a tiny bottle, 2-4 drops, 2 times a day).

He is getting worse and I have been at the vets at least twice a week and spent a fortune.

The vet said 10 days ago the MRSA is gone and I didn't need to keep putting in ear drops. However, I said all along that I thought it was in both ears. He said he didn't see anything in the right ear and there must be another problem causing the regurgitating of water and no appetite. He added Clavamox, because my dog has liver problems (he was on 40 mg of pred 2 time a day with two dex shots, two days apart and got bad pancreatitis. They withheld food for about a week and kept him on IV fluids (no vitamins) and he got extreme muscle atrophy. He did not get much better and they finally diagnosed liver problems, but had said it was ok now. Recently, they did a snap test and he was at 24. The vet thinks the ear infection caused low liver function and advised me to add some protein to the L/D, such as cottage cheese. However, my dog threw up every time I did that, about 1 1/2 hours after eating.

Yesterday, I took my dog in with 105.3 degree temp. The vet checked the "good" ear again and said that it is infected, but that the ear he worked on is fine. Despite the fact my dog is weak and has lost a lot of weight, and the congestion in his right lung is bad enough to feel with my hand, he wants to operate on the right ear right away to drain and flush it. I asked for a larger amount of the Baytril solution to put in the infected ear. (This morning, I cleaned out the ear the vet said was ok, and it had pus in it). I kept asking all along if the Baytril was enough (68 mg twice a day) because my dog is not getting better, in any way, and has lost 3 more pounds. Yesterday the vet upped Baytril to 1 1/2 68 mg twice a day (my dog is now at 44 pounds). He did tell me to give it with food at first, but I read not to.

May 24 was when I thought there was an infection due to lots of pus. June 28 was when he was put on Baytril. This is July 24, and he still has an infection in both ears, and in his lungs and in his nose, and a skin infection on the side of his face. The vet was going to renew the skin spray yesterday, but I asked him to look at it again, because it was not working. He said to mix the ear drops with vaseline and apply it to his face. BTW, they do not mix well.

I work full-time and it is hard to get in to see a vet as often as I go, but this vet always makes time for us and has given me his cell number. However, I have reservations about his treatment of this infection and putting my dog (age 13 in 2 months) under anesthesia when he has this lung condition. The vet did not do an x-ray yesterday but said it could be the MRSA in the lungs and on the face. He does not mention the nose, but I showed him there is yellowish grayish discharge from it sometimes. I did not get a copy of the lab results for drugs to use against this infection. Baytril was there, though. I am planning to pick up a copy of the results tomorrow. I did ask the vet to put him on IV yesterday (1000mg in 2 hours) and might do it again Mon and Tues afternoons, because it makes him feel better.

He is also on lactulose, zantac, and thyroid (5 mg 2 times a day). The vet did not think he has hypothyroid although it was always borderline low. Now it is low. He thinks it is sick thyroid. He did not offer a full panel test and I did not know about them at the time. I've spent several thousand at least on tests and various meds since May, but my dog is still not better. The blood work always came back great, so much of what I said was discounted. In fact, he had me start weaning him off the lactulose, but he got worse very rapidly (he already had the ear infection) so I put him back on. There have been no instructions on MRSA precautions, etc.

Do you think he is on the right track? The Baytril has been used almost 4 weeks now. Do you think it is dangerous to put him under when he has so much congestion in his chest? The vet did one x-ray 2 wks ago and there was a white area, but he didn't call it pneumonia. He did not want to do an x-ray yesterday, but said we could before the ear draining and flushing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jay Mawhinney replied 3 years ago.
HI
I'm sorry to hear about this dilemma. With the weight loss, high fever and likely chronic liver complications it might be worth it to request a second opinion at a specialty referral clinic where round the clock fluid therapy and more complete medical workup might be undertaken by a Veterinary Internal .Medical specialist. There is a point where a second pair of eyes/especially a specialist eyes are indicated. Good luck on this.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Please, if you agree with my advice, hit the accept button on your question. Also you need to deposit the fee first if you have not already done so. This is the only way we receive our commission on the payment.thanks.We are not examining your animal and can only advise and give suggestions relative to your description.It is against the practice act and in direct violation of our license to do otherwise.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
It doesn't answer my questions about the MRSA and the advisability of going under general anesthesia when a lung infection is present. I have already considered seeing a specialist, but they are more than 200 miles away.
I would not see the MRSA as any different than the myriad of other problems you are describing. the "lung infection" if that is what it is may or may not be relative to a resistant bacteria. The Baytril and even the clavamox may have gotten rid of the resistant bacteria. The real issue is what is going on with your pet and further diagnostics and rule outs are necessary. And yes I would question a major surgery until proper diagnostics are done. you may have been spending a little too much time on the internet looking into MRSA. All it refers to is an antibiotic resistant bacterial infection and nothing more. If the bacteria was sensitive to Enrofloxin (Baytril) then it was destroyed by this antibiotic unless other factors prevented it. Good luck with this but look into more complete diagnostics before any anesthetic is done.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience: 34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.