DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine treating dogs and cats.

My dog has a hard lump on her gums above her front teeth.

My dog has a hard lump on her gums above her front teeth. She just started on the antibiotic cephelexin 250mg two days ago for a staph infection. She chewed the first one in a pill pocket and then I realized she should swallow them, so I have to open her mouth and put it down her throght. I did not see the bump until this morning and i'm relatively sure I would have seen it. It is normal pink and about 1/2 inch diameter perfect circle.
sticks out about 1/4 inch.
she is eating and drinking fine. Stools so far are fine.
You are seeing different information because there are different things that can cause lumps on the gums! There are benign (or non-cancerous) masses that can form on the gums, which we generally can either just monitor or only remove if they get very large, but there are also cancerous tumors which tend to be very aggressive and malignant. (And then in between we have things like abscesses and so forth!) Since she is an older dog, I would err on the side of caution and have this looked at by your vet. A biopsy will easily tell us if this is something that we need to be worried about. An abscessed tooth would be easily treated (the antibiotics she is on will help, but the tooth should still be removed).

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
I just got your feedback. Your specific question, in your post was "Confused as to what to do, if anything" I think I addressed that for you. Just becuase I went over possible causes that you may have already seen, does not lessen my advice. If you had additional questions or were not satisfied, you are free to respond. I can not diagnose this lump online. I wish you the best.