Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.

Our dog has sulcrate plus perscribed but cant keep even the

Customer Question

Our dog has sulcrate plus perscribed but can't keep even the smallest dosage down.We take up to hour to administer and when done,up it come in a large amount of clear flem. \\Is there an alternative to Sulcrate that she might find easier to keep down. Ken
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Why was she put on the Sulcrate?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bonnie (9 year old West highland terrier. Diagnoised with Megaesophogus 3 weeks ago and had Aspiration Pnenmonia. Regergitating mucus during the day.

Bonnie also has a Hepatic Liver which was diagnoised 2 years ago. Also just answer asked for my e-mail address and when I sent it the reply was that that e-mail address was already registered to another member. I am that member.??????Dis I register this request for help as a new member. It must be years since I usedthis service because I don't remember. At any rate my e-mail is, [email protected]. Mywife Ruth will be doing most of the communicating with you as she is Bonnies primary care giver and she can type faster the 5 words a minute.She will reply to your next reply in about 2-3hours as it is 5:30 AM here

Thanks for the info. I would think that you could stop the sulcrafate, no sense in fighting with her like that. Mega esophagus is a management challenge. There is even an organization with tips for management it is

Most dogs with Megaesophagus have myasthenia gravis Does Bonnie have that and is she on other medications?

Successful management can be feeding the dog in an elevated position, discovering what the best consistency of food is etc. Some have had great sucess with a permanent feeding tube. Here is a treatise on the subject.