Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Can I ask some questions first
1. How big was the packet?
2. Dis she tear it upo completely and eat the contents or swallow a large section?
3. Did she eat the packaging as well as the contents?
4. How long ago did she eat it?
1. a square about 1 1/2 inches each side
2. tore it open and looked like half was on the floor
3. just ate some of the beads....possibly
4. about 20 minutes ago
Thanks for that information
Dessicant packages contain silica gel. I have seen many dogs over the years that have chewed up and eaten these and never a problem. The silica is inert and non-toxic. At most it could cause some nausea and inappetence, perhaps some vomiting. If a whole package is swallowed there can be some risk of intestinal blockage but from what you have described that’s not going to happen.This is too small an amount.
If you wish to be on the absolute safe side I can give you instructions on how to induce vomiting. That would have to be done within an hour of swallowing the material. Let me know if that’s the case and I’ll get straight back to you.
Otherwise I’d suggest feeding her some high fibre food like cereal or pumpkin and it should all pass through.