CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has a 1-inch long, cone shaped growth between her tail

My dog has a 1-inch long, cone shaped growth between her tail and anus. It appears to be hard, but I can't tell for sure. She won't let me touch it. I think it comes and goes. Right now it is large and annoying her so she is licking it until it bleeds. What is it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Are the stools normal?

Does she have any other lesions elsewhere?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Stools are normal. No other lesions. No other apparent problems.
Unfortunately - sometimes these are very hard to diagnose by touch, feel, or even location. If they are soft, at times they can be benign, and if they are hard or not able to be moved, they are more likely to be cancerous, but you can be fooled very easily.

My recommendation to determine what the growth is (benign growth vs. cancerous mass) would be to have your veterinarian perform a procedure called a FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate).

A FNA procedure is quite simple with minimal risks. Usually without any sedation at all (and no anesthesia), a small needle is inserted into the lump and then cells and fluid are aspirated into the syringe, then pushed onto a slide.

The slide is examined under the microscope either by your veterinarian, or if you elect, by a board certified clinical pathologist. The goal would be for them to tell you what the cells are, and therefore, what the mass is. Is it benign or malignant? And would surgery then be indicated.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have addtional questions!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.