Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My Boston Terrier is sick, vomiting and diarrhea I gave him Pepto Bismo and he didn

My Boston Terrier is sick, vomiting and diarrhea
I gave him Pepto Bismo and he didn't keep that down either.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

DR. Zoe :

Hello, I'm Dr. Zoe. It sounds like you are doing everything right!. How long has Caesar been vomiting? Any diarrhea? Can you think of what may have started this?

DR. Zoe :

I see that there is diarrhea too.. disregard that question.

Customer:

Hello Dr. Zoe,

DR. Zoe :

I can't tell if you're typing the answer to what I asked before. Has Caesar been seen by his regular vet for this?

Customer:

. caesar had vomiting and diarrhea 4 days ago and that's when I gave him chicken breast and rice and pepto bismo. I did this for two days and he seemed fine. Then today I fed him breakfast with the same chick and rice, plus I put in a few bites of his dry dog food. He threw this all up and outside he had diarrhea. I tried giving him a pepto bismo but he couldn't keep that down. He has laid all day in my bed with seemingly no energy; i.e., doesn't want to play ball - a several times a day thing with him.

Customer:

No, his vet is 200 miles away and I can't get there until Monday.

DR. Zoe :

Okay, so four days is a bit too long. It has reached a point that it is time to take him in to see his veterinarian. Primarily, I am concerned that he is started to get dehydrated. As well, any short-term digestive tract upset will general clear with the supportive care you provided within 48 hours. THe fact it has recurred suggests there is something significant going on that I think at-home supportive care is just not going to clear.

Customer:

His nose is warm,too.

DR. Zoe :

Some possible causes for this can be acute pancreatitis, ingestion of object that is blocking the system, liver/kidney disease, clostridial enteritis, salmonella and the list continues.

Customer:

He just threw up again. He had jumped off the bed because there was someone at the door.

DR. Zoe :

The fact his nose is warm may be "normal" and it not a good indicator of a fever. The best way to determien if he is febrile is to take his temperature. This must be done rectally (and you should donate that thermometer to be the animal thermometer after this). If his termp is >102.5F then he has a fever.

DR. Zoe :

I really have to recommend you seek out a vet clinic that is still open to have him looked at tonight. He needs something to stop the vomiting, at a minimum.

Customer:

After he throws up the food or Pepto Bismo, he throws up again and it is white foamy stuff or very mucus feeling clear stuff.

Customer:

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

DR. Zoe :

Because he cannot keep medication down, there really isn't much you can give him OTC to stop this. He needs an injection to stop the vomiting. If you adamantly don't want to take him in to be seen tonight, then do not offer any more food. Water is okay. If he vomits 4 to 5 more times tonight, you've got to take him in.

Customer:

Okay, I will go to a clinic. Thank you very much. I love him very much and I don't want him to suffer or die.

DR. Zoe :

The type of vomit is pretty standard vomiting and doesn't indicate any specific vomiting problem.

DR. Zoe :

I think taking him in is really your best and safest bet at this point!!

Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine