CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

How effective is Nuvet and Hardy Pet Complete Supplement Tablets

How effective is Nuvet and Hardy Pet Complete Supplement Tablets for my dog who has allergies and early signs of cataracts? She is a Cocapoo, 4 years old. I took her to vets for her allergies every year. But as soon as the pills are finished, the allergies come back after a month or two...
Spoke with an eye surgeon. She told me she would not do surgery on cataracts till advanced stage, and there are alternatives.
I started both Nuvet Plus and Hardy Pet Eye Supplement tablets three days ago. She seems definitely BETTER. I also stopped her usual chicken diet and changed to Iam dry foods.
Any suggestions? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Regarding the supplements - is your goal to help the allergies? cataracts? both?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both I would hope. My dog also takes antihistamine. But she would be dopey afterwards. More frequent baths (at least once a week) seem to be helping the allergies. We live in Florida and it was very severe in the spring time. She is much better now but her fur is no longer shiny and golden. it looks more dark honey now. Perhaps it has been so hot we do not take her out as often. We do walk her three times a day, about 20 minutes each time.
Hi there,

Here are the comments on this:

If the supplements are doing anything, they are likely providing some benefit for the allergy signs.

There is no drop or pill that is going to really change the cataract progression.

They are not going to hurt the eyes, but think about it this way - if the drops, supplements, or other medications would resolve the cataracts, EVERYONE would know about them.

They would be on TV, the radio, people would use them.

There are a lot of claims about many different types of drops for cataracts - they dont work. For people or pets.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Why does the surgeon not recommend surgery at this stage and wanted me to wait till advanced stage? It costed me $250 to get such a frustrating answer and I waited at the clinic for 2 hours, with appointment!!

She was the only reputable Vet Eye Surgeon in Sarasota. Do you have any recommendation for the interim treatment? Thanks

Due to complications such as complete vision loss, it is not recommended until an advanced stage - most reputable specialists would agree.

There is no specific therapy for this - when getting worse, then surgery is considered.

Good luck.