Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

Is Plaque Blast safe for dogs Does it really work My cockapoo

Is Plaque Blast safe for dogs? Does it really work? My cockapoo needs her teeth cleaned in Sept., and I do not know if this will take care of it or if I should wait and use it after the cleaning. I am skeptical about any product that claims to prevent tartar buildup.
Hello there,

The product is safe to use but is a trial and error product. It basically is a very dilute type of bleach used to kill the bacteria on the teeth and dissolve the tarter. The product uses testimonials instead of actual research results to make it's claims. It would be a product more beneficial as a preventative after a proper teeth clean versus an alternative. When the teeth are cleaned and polished it covers the open pores on the teeth that bacteria stick to. The spray will not provide that benefit. As soon as you stop using it, the tarter will return.I myself would use an enzymatic toothpaste for slowing the return of the tarter after the cleaning. C.E.T. products are common ones.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. I thought that might be the case. I have not been brushing my dog's teeth but my vet says it will slow the tartar buildup. I will start using it after the cleaning.

You are very welcome. Good Luck. There is also a new product called Breathalyzer Plus that is a liquid you add into the water bowl. I use it on my own dogs and it seems to work pretty well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Glad you recommended it. Is that to be used instead of brushing or in addition to brushing? Can it be mIxed with Angel Eyes?
It can be used alone or along with brushing. It does not cause problems with Angel Eyes use.