DVM Dave
DVM Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM with 18 years small animal medicine experience
24349828

My dog has cough

My dog has a dry cough. Almost sounds like she is choking. She is eating and going to the bathroom normally. I don't think there is anything stuck in her throat, though I cannot see.

A cough like that could be caused by a respiratory tract infection or fluid buildup in her lungs do to a heart problem. The infection is probably most likely. Of course, you can see your vet to get her started on cough suppressants and antibiotics. If this is not possible, you can try an OTC cough suppressant such as Robitussin. Just give a dose relative to weight as recommended for an adult human. For example a 50 lb dog would get a dose 1/2 that recommended for an adult human.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will try that. I am a bit concerned about Heartworm. She has not seen a vet in over two years. I acquired her thru my brother, and cannot get into the vets office till Monday.

For heart worm disease, she would need to be tested and an X-ray taken.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will make an appointment for her on Monday. I'm am skeptable about this. I have never owned a dog before and do not know what or how to diagnose her problem. She has never been sick. I will try the cough suppressant.

Good luck.