Dr. Kim Lewis
Dr. Kim Lewis, Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of experiece in small animal medicine with emphasis on emergency/critical care/pain
26610693

what are the first signs of pregnancy in a chihuahua and when

what are the first signs of pregnancy in a chihuahua and when do they appear after completeing estrus cycle?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kim Lewis replied 3 years ago.

The first few weeks of dog pregnancy you will probably see decreased appetite, a sudden decrease in activity, nipple growth, and behavioral changes. She may be far more affectionate than her regular behavior or just want to be left alone, it.

The tissue and glands underneath her nipples will swell to make room for her baby's milk. in the next 3-4 weeks.
After the first few weeks her appetite will reappear and she will rapidly start gaining weight. Her abdomen will thicken and be firm to the touch. Smaller breeds look larger when pregnant than bigger breeds because they have less room to carry all of their puppies. You will be able to feel the puppy movement during the last week of her pregnancy because that is when the babies are getting into position for birth. Don't be surprised to see several drops of milk leaking from her nipples prior to the labor.
Typically the pregnancy will last 60-64 days.

If you want her to be checked, it can be done by ultrasound after several weeks. the fetal bones are visible on xray at 45 days, which is far less expensive usually.

I am a bit concerned due to her young age- small litters, early births, congenital malformations etc.. Any breed can have problems giving birth- chihuahuas are a breed that have a higher incidence because of the size of their heads. It will be very good to know how many she has for sure (xray late in pregnancy most accurate) so you don't have to worry in the night whether she is done.
You should, if she is pregnant, get a good book, or talk to your vet about how dog birthing should progress, and the signs of trouble- it is much to vast a topic to cover here.

Hope that helps!!!
Kim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been breeding Burmese cats for 36 years. Is the progression of labour and delivery similar? I heard there are high incedents of c-sections in the breed. I was wondering if that can be reduced by regular excersize and higher activity levels before and during pregnancy. The girl and boy were both very fat when they first came from the breeder but since I have had them over the last 4 months they are now trim and fit and love there run in the baseball diamond and walk through the woods. Yes they are on Revolution. Is there any concerns with the outdoor activities? I live in the country.
Not really, cats do it really differently (like everything don't you think?) and can take much longer, safely.
I think the incidence of c-sections is mostly a head size issue, so no, you can only have a plan B and start saving just in case ;}.

No, it sounds like a healthy lifestyle- glad you pared them down to size!!!

Kim
Dr. Kim Lewis, Veterinarian
Experience: 17 years of experiece in small animal medicine with emphasis on emergency/critical care/pain