ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
59144988

my dog is whining,seems like he is in pain,circling, trying

my dog is whining,seems like he is in pain,circling, trying to crawl under things, crawling on the ground, panting acting very abnormal. There is nothing visible to me, nor do I feel anything abnormal. He is a mutt terrier mix about 9 yrs old. I cannot afford to take him to the emergency vet and i am scared there is something very wrong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.

ER Vet :

Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

ER Vet :

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer:

Hi Dr Smith,

Customer:

No he has had neither

ER Vet :

Ok, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX he doing before all of this started and how long ago did it start?

Customer:

he was totally normal all day, this started about 7pm

ER Vet :

What time zone are you in?

Customer:

pacific

ER Vet :

Ok. does this seems to be continual or does he settle down for a bit and then act up again?

Customer:

he had been exhibiting continual symptoms

Customer:

has been

ER Vet :

It sounds as if he either has abdominal pain or back pain. The other possibility is some type of allergic reaction. Is he interested in eating if you offer him his facorite food?

Customer:

not really and he isnt interested in his fave treats either, I have felt his stomach and there is no bloat or distension, and he is walking ok.....I do think there may be some rear flank pain

Customer:

can i give him naprocyn or vicodin?

ER Vet :

If you push along his spine, does he react? Start where the ribs end and apply moderate pressure to the muscles to the right and left side of his spine

Customer:

ok, give me a min

ER Vet :

No, dont give those meds. Naproxen is particularly toxic to dogs

ER Vet :

Hoe much does he wigh?

Customer:

he does not react badly to my touch, he weighs about 25lbs

Customer:

when he walks he is walking kind of hunched over with his head down...I feel terrible, i want to help him

ER Vet :

The crawling under things and circling is strange. does the skin on his belly look red or do his eyes look red? Also lift his head up, down and turn it side to side, see if he reacts

ER Vet :

I know I'm asking alot but you are my eyes and hands right now :)

Customer:

skin and eyes look fine, he feels very warm...the stretching his body out and crawling along the floor is very odd for him too

Customer:

no, I appreciate it very much

ER Vet :

That is most often an abdominal pain symptom. Does he sometimes "bow", put his front legs out, head down and rump up in the air?

Customer:

YES!

ER Vet :

Its his abdomen that hurts, I;m pretty sure.

Customer:

so without knowing the cause...which could be anything from having eaten something, to cancer........what can i do for him tonight?

ER Vet :

This could be GI pain like gas distension but the question is why...with no vomiting, it is unlikely to be any kind of obstruction or twisting of the stomach or intestines. As long as his gums are pink, I don't think he is in immediate danger...some things you can do:

ER Vet :

Check his gums every hour or two - make sure they are bubble gum color.

ER Vet :

Give 1/2 tablet of pepcid ac...t this lasts 12 hours.

ER Vet :

give 1/2 tablet of gas x. Try to get these things tonight if you can..any walmart or 24 hours rpharmacy will have them

Customer:

his gums are not pink...he is a black and silver dog, and his gums have never been pink

ER Vet :

Take a look higher up or on the inside surface og his lip, there should be some pink wehre there is no pigment

Customer:

let me go look......brb

ER Vet :

Take him for a slow brief walk, about 10 minutes

Customer:

ok, I see pink

ER Vet :

If he gets weak or begins vomiting frequently or you notice him getting pale in the mucous membranes, he would really need an emergency visit

Customer:

so 1/2 tab of pepcid ac and 1/2 tab of gas-x?

ER Vet :

See if he feels better if you rub his belly. Yes both of those are correct

Customer:

I had a coker that died from bloat last yr....so this is freaking me out a bit

Customer:

cocker*

ER Vet :

I wish I could tell you what is wrong but without an abdominal x ray, we wont know.

Customer:

I understand, and my challenge is......no money right now

ER Vet :

I understand. Its a terrible disease.

Customer:

I really appreciate your help.....can I give him a benedryl to help him sleep?

ER Vet :

Most dogs with bloat attempt to vomit, are retching and salivating excessively

Customer:

right, i remember it well...and he has none of that

ER Vet :

Yes ,the benadryl wont interfere with anything in a bad way. One whole 25 mg dose is good

Customer:

ok i will do all this and watch him through the night

ER Vet :

Sounds good, I hope he settles down in a bit for you.

Customer:

thank you so very much

ER Vet :

You're welcome, good luck tonight :)

ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.