Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

what is the life expectancy for a dog with dementia -my schnauser

Customer Question

what is the life expectancy for a dog with dementia -my schnauser is 15 yrs old and has all the signs yet to be confirmed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 5 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Has any blood work been done on your dog since all of this began -- to rule out any underlying issues?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The biggest question that I would have if this were my patient -- is whether there is an underlying cause for the behavior you are seeing --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Dementia itself is not a life limiting factor -- but the cause behind it can be.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and some of these symptoms are siginificant.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Heart failure of liver function could both be a factor behind such symptoms --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There are medications specifically for dementia in dogs ---

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and the supplementation of melatonin is also sometimes used -- but please consult your vet regarding this -- as you do not wish to do harm if there is an underlying condition.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian