Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Are Dried fish skins good for dogs teeth and if they are why

Are Dried fish skins good for dog's teeth and if they are why are they good ? I notice many products claim this
Thanks for the question.

1. Products like this are good for a dog's teeth because it gives them something to chew on for a while. This chewing action helps remove tartar build up as the consistency of the fish skin is somewhat abrasive and the chewing action bring the fish skin in contact with the teeth a bit like a tooth brush. It may also have an action like dental floss.

This is a more natural diet for dogs as many commercial dog diets do not give the dog's teeth much to do so tartar build up and then dental problems can be the result. A wolf in the wild for example would be unlikely to have dental problems because it would always be pulling at the hide of it's prey and chewing on the bones.

2. Fish skins should only be given as a treat now and again, but in addition to the dental advantages they also contain fish oils and vitamins which may go some way to keeping your dog healthy.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Scott you pointed out the benefits of dried fish skins for dogs above can you let me know where I can access more studies on this ? Or even if you can quote some pieces from studies or papers regarding your responses above, and name the source will be good enough for me.