CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dogs neck this morning. It is about the siz

Customer Question

I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. It does not have a head, and is the same color throughout, but I can feel that it extends below the skin a bit. She could not have had this lump/bump for more than a week or so because I check her frequently for skin bumps.

She is behaving normally otherwise, but the location of the bump is concerning me. What should I do? I have pictures of it if you need to see what it looks like.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

You can upload pictures using the paperclip icon above where you type.

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
This looks like a benign growth from your pictures.

To be 100% sure, my recommendation to determine what the lump is (benign growth vs. cancerous mass) would be to have your veterinarian perform a procedure called a FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate).

A FNA procedure is quite simple with minimal risks. Usually without any sedation at all (and no anesthesia), a small needle is inserted into the lump and then cells and fluid are aspirated into the syringe, then pushed onto a slide.

The slide is examined under the microscope either by your veterinarian, or if you elect, by a board certified clinical pathologist. The goal would be for them to tell you what the cells are, and therefore, what the mass is. Is it benign or malignant? And would surgery then be indicated.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have addtional questions!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I asked another vet online who said she thought it was a wart and to monitor it for changes over the next few days. I'm trying to decide the urgency of going to the vet. Do you think this is a situation that needs immediate attention? Or, should I wait a few days and keep a close eye on it to see what happens?

What I find most concerning is the speed with which is appeared (is this possible for benign growths or warts?) and the location of it (near her neck).

Thank you again.
Hi there,

To me - (and the other expert) - we both seem to agree this is likely benign - and watching for change would be reasonable.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again for your response.

Is there any chance that this could be as minor as a bug-bite? If so, what should I expect over the next few days?

Hi there,

I do not think this is a bug bite based on close examination of your photos.

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you--one quick follow-up question. It seems to have sprouted up rather quickly. I routinely check her for ticks and other skin anomalies and did not notice this bump. It's been about a week since I last checked her. Should the relative speed with which it has developed alarm me? I really appreciate your help!
I would continue to recheck, but your picture still lean me towards this being a benign lesion.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great, thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, again. I checked the bump again today and it had faded to more of a whitish color. It hasn't gotten bigger and, if anything, has reduce a tiny in size perhaps. Is this a good sign or a bad one?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would really appreciate an answer to my follow-up question!
That sign does not change the advice above.