ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
59144988

My dog has developed swollen paws all four are swollen and

My dog has developed swollen paws all four are swollen and have become very smooth. She will no longer walk on wood floors as she slides all over the place. no injuries or lacerations.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.

ER Vet :

Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. Is she eating and drinking, acting ok otherwise?

Customer:

yes, everything else is okay, She did have some sores on her skin but I have been healing those just fine.

ER Vet :

I'm trying to picture what you are seeing? Can you take a picture and upload it? Sounds unusual... is it the whole paw or just the toes?

Customer:

The whole paw is swollen. She seems to be slipping on any surface that is smooth. She will only walk on the carpet, concrete and grass. It's really just the front paws that are swollen. I just checked again and the paws are smoother on the front two and not as swollen on the back two. I'll send you a picture.

ER Vet :

What breed is she?

Customer:

West Highland White Terrier

ER Vet :

Is s he licking at them at all?

ER Vet :

she

Customer:

yes

ER Vet :

There are a few things that cause a dog's feet to swell. When you press on the swollen area, does your finger push in and create a mark, indented area that stays for 5+ seconds or more?

Customer:

just checked it does not

ER Vet :

Ok. Thanks... With her being a Westie, I think she is having a real bad year for allergies. Westie's are prone to allergies to things in the environment like pollens, molds, etc. This is called atopic dermatitis. It especially affects the feet. They get swelling due to inflammation and sometimes infection.

ER Vet :

One of the things that you can try is to give her benadryl, but this might not be enough. How much does she weigh?

Customer:

20 lbs

Customer:

She did have some problems with food allergies in april she was on steroids and antibiotics I switched her to Nature's balance food

ER Vet :

You could give her one over the counter diphenhydramine 2-3 times daily. I would do this for the next 2-3 days and also apply hydrocortisone cream to the feet twice daily. She most likely has environemntal allergies and may have food allergies as well. She may need to go back on those medications but you can try this for a few days, if you want. I will provide a link for more information for you

ER Vet :

The thing that you want to watch for is to see that the swelling is going down over the next two days. If so, you can keep going with this treatment. If its not responding then have your vet take a look. If its infected, it probably won't get much better.

ER Vet :

The other thing besides bacteria that can cause this is a yeast infection on top of the allergic response. This triggers a lot of inflammation as well.

Customer:

could that be why her eyes keep getting infected is a yeast infection. I told the vet I went to about her eye infection and she said there was no yeast infection. Said she had a bad case of allergies and told me to change her food.

ER Vet :

Dogs don't get yeast infections in their eyes. It is very common in the ears, less common on the feet. I think the eye problem is also coming from the allergies though. Just like people that get real itchy eyes from allergies. Food allergies don't cause eye inflammation. Its usually pollens or other substances in the air. One of the things I recommend is when you bring her in from outside, wipe down her body, especially her feet with a wet cloth. It can help cut down on the pollen on her and reduce allergies.

ER Vet :

Also suppplement her diet with a high potency supplement contaning onega 3 fatty acids, especially EPA. I take these and give them to my dog, who has allergies.

Customer:

Full Size Image

ER Vet :

An example is resq 1250. You can get these at www.n3inc.com. If you don't get hem there, look atthe label and find something similar. You can give 1-2 capsules daily

ER Vet :

Got hte picture, great job!

ER Vet :

Yes it looks like typical atopic dermatitis affecting the feet. It doesn't appear infected at this point which is good!

ER Vet :

I would apply hydrocortisone several times daily. IF she licks it, it won't hurt but it may not work real well. Try to prevent her from licking it for 15-20 minutes so it can penetrate the skin

Customer:

wonderful. I will take your advise and try some of those things and maybe we will get passed this. Thank you so much for the help. You just saved me a lot of money. Love this service.

ER Vet :

You're welcome! This is a real good link...more detail

ER Vet :

Good luck!!

ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.