CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

I have a puggle. He will occasionally wheeze, but in the last

I have a puggle. He will occasionally wheeze, but in the last day it has been occurring regularly. He will act like he is going to throw up and has been sluggish as well. He ate normally last night when we first noticed and ate normally this morning as well. and is drinking water. However it occurs more after drinking water. Could he have ingested something? Should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

does it look or sound like this video?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that is exactly what he does and sounds like.

Regarding the noise he is making - If it looks similar to the video above - it is likely what is called a "Reverse Sneeze"

Regarding the reverse sneeze - in a VAST majority of cases, this is thought to be cause by inflammation or irritation of the pharynx (back of the mouth).

For this - I usually recommend Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) - the dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 50 pound dog should receive 50mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 8 to 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.