DrJessicaO
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice & oncology experience with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc

My dog has a lump under his anus athat is bleeding and causing him discomfort.I have read

Customer Question

My dog has a lump under his anus athat is bleeding and causing him discomfort.I have read that a zinc oxide crean helps.
What do you suggest?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 2 years ago.
Has this lump been checked by a vet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he hasn't had it checked,we are going away in the morning on holiday and taking him with us.I did query it is a fistula.He has been castrated some years ago,
What do you think about the Zinc Oxide option?
I will get to that--I am trying to get a better picture of what it may be before I simply give you an answer. I can opt out and allow another Expert to help you if you would simply like to know if you can use the cream.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I would like more info please,if it's ok to use the Zinc Oxide cream
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to withdraw my payment,I'm haven't had an answer.
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I will try to help answer your question regarding Sammy. There are many reasons that an older dog may have a lump in this area. One is an anal gland abscess which is caused by an impaction and infection of the small "scent gland" located at the lower left and right side quadrants of the rectal area. Shih tzus are unfortunately predisposed to this condition and it is typically treated by a veterinarian flushing the gland with antiseptic and using oral antibiotics (sometimes surgery is also needed). A tumor of the anal gland, the rectum, or the peri-anal area (surrounding the anus) is another possibility in an older dog. Of course a fistula, possibly caused by an infection, is another consideration. Topical use of zinc oxide is safe PROVIDED Sammy does not ingest any of this ointment (an Elizabethan "lamp shade" collar can be purchased at a pet store and is advised at all times, as ingestion of zinc can be very toxic). Zinc oxide will likely help the superficial irritation and may help any superficial infection but is unlikely to penetrate deep into the area to completely treat the problem. Also without a diagnosis it is difficult to determine how effective this product may or may not be. You may also try to warm compress the area for 5-10 minutes to help provide comfort until you can get him to a veterinarian. Benadryl (10 mg for a 10 pound dog) can also be given twice daily to help decrease any inflammation/irritation. I suggest an appointment to help determine diagnosis. Also, if Sammy appears uncomfortable or is straining to defecate/has blood in the stool, I recommend an immediate visit to a veterinarian.
I hope this information helps,
-Dr. Jessica
PS- I'm sorry for the delay- I just signed on and found your open question that hadn't been answered yet. :)