Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

Can I feed my month-old puppy infant formula How much and

Customer Question

Can I feed my month-old puppy infant formula? How much and how often should the puppy drink?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

No sorry. You have to use puppy milk replacer. The human kind will make him sick.

They sell puppy milk replacer at almost every pet store. They even sell it at walmart.

You need to weigh your puppy to determine how much to feed him. He should gain 5% to 10% of his birth weight each day. You can purchase a kitchen scale to weigh him if he is very small.

They always have directions on the puppy formula telling you how much to feed based on weight.

This is a "home made recipe" until you can get the milk replacer.

1 cup whole milk
1 tsp. salad oil
1 drop multi-vitamins (if you have any)
2 egg yolks

You need to feed him every 2 hours while you are awake. If you want to feed him during the night that is great but probably not necessary if he eats well all day. He may cry during the night if he is hungry and then you should feed him.

Gently rub the anal and genital area, with a warm cloth, after feeding to help with urination and defecation.

I hope this helps.