Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

What color should a mucus plug be when a dog is getting ready

What color should a mucus plug be when a dog is getting ready to deliver?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

These can range from clear to yellowish clear -- or even lsightly blood tinged.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

(sorry slightly blood tinged)

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and this is often not seen -- as the dog often licks the area clean so that it is not seen -

Customer:

I am a new breeder and most of the time I feel very incompetent. I bred a female 1.5 years ago...my first kick at the can. When she shed her mucus plug it was green....subsequently she had a breech birth and all her pups died in her belly. I haven't bred anyone since then but am making an attempt to breed at this point. I have one gal that is about 30 days along...and just wanted to know if the color of the mucus plug can forcast trouble.

Customer:

I would also like to say that my chi's live in the house with me....I have six of them and they are like kids to me since I am 59 and all my family is gone.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- The first thing to know about chihuahuas is that there is a very high rate of the necessity of a c-section

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The plug -- if it is really green or particularly if there is a bad odor -- then this is an indication of a problem that needs vet assistance right away -- as there may be infection or dead fetuses that may need to be extracted

Dr. BJ Hughes :

So if you have carefully timed matings and know when the due date is -- when she starts acting a clingy -and wanting to nest -- then start looking for pups in 24 hours --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You can also take the rectal temp (normal 99- 103) -- and it should drop to 98 degrees and stay there 24 hours or so before delivery .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Please have a vet to work with for an emergency c section on call for you -- so you know you will have assitance if needed.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If she is in active labor and pushing for an hour with no pup delivered -- then it is time to see yoru vet --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

They may decide to give oxytocin to help contractions -- or a c section may be necessary -

Customer:

Thank you so much for the info. I did have a vet on call but he said his phone wasn't in his bedroom....to bad for the pups....hopefully things will go better this time.