Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Rectal bleeding in spayed 2-yr old female; appetite is normal;

Rectal bleeding in spayed 2-yr old female; appetite is normal; drinking is normal; alert; attentive; no vomiting/sleepiness/lethergy - Causes? Concern? Immediacy of Treatment?
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Is there any sign of constipation or diarrhoea?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :

This sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Ginger over without delay.

That said, if she is bright and alert and fairly happy other than the diarrhoea then the chances are this is not too serious. Diarrhoea is very common in the dog while the blood from the rectal area is a worry very often this is due to the rupture of a small blood vessel in the mucosa of the rectum due to the straining from the diarrhoea. If this is the cause of the bleeding { which is very likely } then it is rarely a cause for concern and it will spontaneously resolve when you clear up the diarrhoea. Dogs in this age group which have slight rectal bleeding and are otherwise healthy very rarely have any serious diseases such as bowel cancer.

As for treatment there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases, where for example a dog has eaten somethings she should not have out in the yard or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. Assuming Ginger is otherwise fairly bright and you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Ginger deteriorates further in any way you should see your vet without delay.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A live yogurt? Like Activia? Is that OK to start with in moderation to help bring back the good bacteria & restore the balance? How much should she get in a day, she weighs about 40 lbs - eats 1.25 cups dry kibble & small amount of wet food one time/day
Hello again,

Activia would be just fine, any product which contains live bacteria such as live yogurts will work as the object is to reseed the " good " bacteria into your dog's intestinal tract.

The amount would not really be critical, say two tablespoons of Activia or a similar product twice a day added to the food or given directly if the dog likes the taste.