How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Scott Your Own Question
Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15168
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 10 lb Japanese Chin ate 1 Hostess chocolate cupcake. She

This answer was rated:

My 10 lb Japanese Chin ate 1 Hostess chocolate cupcake. She is almost 12 yrs old. Would this be as toxic as pure chocolate or chocolate candy?
Hello there,

How long ago was it ingested?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About 1 to 1 1/2 hours ago.
If it was ingested that long ago it is too late to induce vomiting. The cupcakes do contain cocoa, which is the most toxic form of chocolate. It is not possible to calculate the amount found in each cupcake. 0.1 ounces is enough to cause vomiting and diarrhea. There is not likely that much in 1 cupcake as it is not the first ingredient in the recipe. Seizures and tremors would be the bigger concern. If anything like that occurs, the dog should be examined today. Vomiting and diarrhea would occur before the more serious signs of toxicity.
Dr. Scott and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions