Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My 10 lb Japanese Chin ate 1 Hostess chocolate cupcake. She

My 10 lb Japanese Chin ate 1 Hostess chocolate cupcake. She is almost 12 yrs old. Would this be as toxic as pure chocolate or chocolate candy?
Hello there,

How long ago was it ingested?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About 1 to 1 1/2 hours ago.
If it was ingested that long ago it is too late to induce vomiting. The cupcakes do contain cocoa, which is the most toxic form of chocolate. It is not possible to calculate the amount found in each cupcake. 0.1 ounces is enough to cause vomiting and diarrhea. There is not likely that much in 1 cupcake as it is not the first ingredient in the recipe. Seizures and tremors would be the bigger concern. If anything like that occurs, the dog should be examined today. Vomiting and diarrhea would occur before the more serious signs of toxicity.