Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

IS IT OK FOR A DOG TO BLEED FROM STITCHES AFTER SURGERY

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- What type of surgery did he have?

2- When was the surgery done?

3- Can you expand on what you are seeing on the incision?

4- Is he licking the incision?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HE HAD SURGERY TO REMOVE STONES FROM HIS BLADDER. AND GOT NEUTERED AND THE SAME TIME. SO IT WAS TO SEPERATE INCISIONS. HE IS ONLY BLEEDING FROM THE BLADDER STITCHING THOUGH. SUGERY WAS DONE LAST SATURDAY MORNING. HE IS NOT LICKING BECAUSE HE HAS A CONE ON. AND HE WAS AT THE VET SINCE LAST SATURDAY UNTIL WEDNESDAY EVENING.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

In response to your question, No, it is not normal for bleeding to occur after surgery. In this case, after almost 1 week post surgery, if you are seeing red oozing, it is most likely to be a seroma, which is fluid build up in the incision secondary to dead space created within the incision. These are common post operative complications.

I would recommend you have him checked tomorrow by your family veterinarian. In the meantime, make certain he does not lick the incision, if necessary put the ecollar back on. Limit his physical activity to urinate and defecate on a leash. To much activity decreases healing time and promotes seroma. Follow up in the morning with your veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN PUT FROM A FIRST AID KID THAT COULD HELP TO CLOT THE BLOOD COMING OUT OR SHOULD HE BE OK TILL TOMORROW MORNING.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Can you give me an idea of how much blood are you seeing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IT IS ENOUGH TO LINE THE WHOLE 6" INCISION AND DRIP HERE AND THERE.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

What you can do is apply cold compresses for 5-10 minutes every 2-3 hours. This will cause the vessels to constrict and stop the bleeding.

If you are seeing more than a tablespoon of blood within an hour, then, I would recommend to consider having him checked by ER veterinarian. If not, apply the cold compresses and follow up in the morning with your veterinarian.

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.