Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 7 years of practice

My dog has bloody diarrhea, decreased appetite, hair loss around

Customer Question

My dog has bloody diarrhea, decreased appetite, hair loss around her butt and stomach, fever, and whines most of the time. What could be wrong with her? She has never had any shots that we know of.
Submitted: 5 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christie replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie. I have a few questions for you so I can better help you.

How long has Bernadette been having these symptoms?

Any change in food recently? Has she eaten something recently that is not normal for her, such as garbage, something dead outside?

Is she a younger dog or an older dog?

Is she vomiting at all?

Is she drinking water? How is her activity level?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has been like this for a month or two. She hasn't eaten anything abnormal that I know of. I found her a couple months ago so I'm not sure how old she is. She drinks water and is active a little but usually lays around

Thank you for the information.

To have bloody diarrhea for a couple of months and decreased appetite, the most common problem would be internal parasites. There are several different internal parasites that can do this. I recommend collecting a fresh fecal sample and taking it to your vet. They can analyze it under a microscope (called a fecal exam) to look for the microscopic eggs produced by the parasites. They can then recommend the appropriate treatment for Bernadette.

Also it sounds as if she may have a condition called demodex. This is a type of mange mite that is found on every dog and cat. They cause fur loss when the animal is a young animal or if their immune system is stressed, which hers likely is at this point. I recommend a checkup with your vet to have a skin scraping done to confirm this. Your vet can then recommend the appropriate treatment for bernadette.

You can also start her on her vaccines. They are available over the counter at a local Tractor Supply or pet store. Make sure to give her a vaccine and then booster it in 3-4 weeks for proper protection (one shot is NOT enough). A rabies vaccine must be given by a vet. There are local rabies clinics you can search for that will give a rabies vaccine at a reduced cost.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Christie