Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dogs eye is red. What can I do

My dog's eye is red.
What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. How long has the redness been present? is Mallory squinting the eye or acting sensitive to light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her eye has been red for two days. She has white fur and got a dark grey circle around her eye. I have not seen her squinting.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks. Is the clear part of the eye (the cornea) appearing to be cloudy, hazy, or bluish in color?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, only the white part of the eye is a little red. The dark grey circle has dissapeared.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
is there any discharge from the eye, whether clear/yellow/green or other?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If there is discharge, it is clear, but not excessively.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks. Mild redness, with little other signs of a problem, may just be some irritation due to dirt, dust, or rubbing of the eye on something. Artificial tears drops such as Refresh or Genteal or Systane are all acceptable for lubricating and soothing a mildly irritated eye. Allergies seem to be a less likely explanation if only one eye is affected, so I don't think I'd suggest any anti-allergy treatment.

if the condition worsens, we would be worried about possible issues such as glaucoma, uveitis, or abrasions/scratches on the cornea, all of which require veterinary care for proper diagnosis and management. Therefore, if the artificial tears drops do not seem to be helping, I'd have to recommend seeing a veterinarian.