Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

my dog has little white worms coming out of her butt... what

Customer Question

my dog has little white worms coming out of her butt... what are they and how do I treat them?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
You're seeing tapeworm segments. Most dogs get tapeworms after ingesting fleas that have tapeworm larva in them, so one of the things you need to do is use a good flea ectoparasiticide like Advantage or Frontline - both available over the counter. The wormer you want to buy contains praziquantel - one dose is essentially 100% effective and this too is available over the counter at pet and feed stores. The wormer you used was designed for roundworms rather than tapeworms. Tapeworms aren't contagious to you or your other pets, and aren't considered dangerous to Ella. Please respond if you have other questions or concerns.