Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog (huskey mix) has a gaping hole/open sore next to her anus. It is bleeding and look

my dog (huskey mix) has a gaping hole/open sore next to her anus. It is bleeding and looks like it is very deep. I am worried about infection. The dog is acting normal and is eating and drinking without a problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- If her anus was a clock on what number would be the hole?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Has she been rubbing her butt on the floor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. 4:00

2. just noticed today

3. no

Also she did have a sore there in the winter a few years ago but it was not this bad. I thought it was her gland. It was always worse when she was in the cold. However it is not cold outside at this time of year.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

The description of the symptoms you provide is consistent with a ruptured anal gland. When the anal glands become impacted they will herniate or erupt through the side of the anus. Other possible causes could be a localized infection, laceration, tumor, etc. But, most likely it is a ruptured anal gland. This is what you can do until she is seen by your family veterinarian.

1- Do not let her lick the sore or she will make it worst. Ideally, place an ecollar (cone) or you can place a t-shirt on her by sliding the back legs through the sleeves.

2- You can flush the sore with water for 5 minutes. Then, apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this twice a day.

3- Follow up with your family veterinarian they will need to express the anal gland and she may need additional medication.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.