CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog ingested the polyester fiberfill from inside a comforter.

My dog ingested the polyester fiberfill from inside a comforter. He also ate some pieces of a fleece blanket. He's vomited up quite a bit within the past 2 weeks but is not having regular bowel movements. He's lost about 8lbs and is lethargic. When he does have a bowel movement it's very loose and I can see pieces of the fiberfill in it. My vet prescribed Carafate 1gr every 8 hrs., Metronidazole 250mg 2x a day, and Famotidine 10mg 1x daily. My dog is a 5 year old Shar-Pei and weighs about 40lbs. He doesn't appear to be getting better. What else is there to do or alternatively to his current treatment? Thank you.

Laura Prestano
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

How often is he vomiting?

Is he eating?

Drinking?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He hasn't vomited in about 3 or 4 days. But he has had diarreah today. He will only eat very small amounts of food and only real chicken meat or other human type food. He is drinking quite a bit of water. He normally has quite an appetite and eats regular dog food.
One option is to add fiber to the diet. Fiber is not absorbed by the intestinal tract and passes to the colon where it contributes to the stool volume. The result is a more bulky stool which provides stronger sensory stimulation to the colon than a regular stool.

Fiber may be added to the regular diet in the form of:
- Canned pumpkin
- Bran cereal
- Metamucil

You can add 2 tablespoons of any of the above options to the food twice daily.

If very concerned you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil. This can be purchased at your local pharmacy. You can give 5ml by mouth every 12 hours in an attempt to relieve the discomfort.

The problem here is that if there is continued vomiting - that is a concern - and I would get an ultrasound to be sure there is not a blockage from the fibers (even a linear foreign body)

I hope this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist