Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

How do I get rid a hair ball in dogs I have a male shih tzu

How do I get rid a hair ball in dogs? I have a male shih tzu that weighs about 20 lbs and has been hacking for 2 days now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Matt :

Hello, does your Shih Tzu lick or groom himself excessively?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

And I recently started grooming him myself and didn't even think aabout vacumn him

Dr. Matt :

Ok - has he been eating ok? When he is trying to bring up the hair is he able to get any up ever?

Customer:

So far he has been eating ok, except last night he vomit it back up, but no hair?? No I have not seen any hair yet, just hacking!

Customer:

And he has not been left in a kennel or been around strange dogs

Customer:

I am afraid it might be a fox tail

Dr. Matt :

Hairballs are no very common in dogs, I would agree that something else could be causing him to hack.

Dr. Matt :

Does he make the hacking noise after eating or drinking?

Customer:

like???

Dr. Matt :

Does he eat rawhides or other treats that could get stuck?

Customer:

Mainly after playing some time after eating so we give him a drink and rub his throat. No treats, doesn't like them

Dr. Matt :

One condition that I would be concerned with would be a very common disorder in small breed dogs called a collapsing trachea. The trachea or windpipe is made up of cartilage and in some small breed dogs the cartilage can be very soft or flimsy. When they get excited or when they are playing the need to get oxygen faster and this can cause the trachea to collapse causing a dry cough or hacking noise.

Dr. Matt :

Does he cough when you gently put pressure on his throat?

Customer:

Sounds serious!! Can a vet tell if its a fox tail? if so, what do I expect for removal?

Customer:

no coughing while rubbing his throat that I have noticed yet

Dr. Matt :

A veterinary exam will definitely help you. An exam would be the best way to figure out why he is hacking. Removal of a fox tail would usually require sedation and a thorough throat exam. I would think cost wise maybe $100 - $150 at a regular vet. Does Patches seem overweight that you can tell? Treatment for collapsing trachea is usually keeping his weight at a normal level and giving him medication to control the cough. The medications are usually only needed for dogs that cough frequently.

Customer:

No patches is not over weight, now if u were to ask me about Pebbles his mother I would say yes she is over weight, Haha

Customer:

Ok sooo I guess it time for a vet appointment, I am assuming that is your recomendation?

Dr. Matt :

An exam would be the best answer for you and Patches. Your vet may have to take a chest x-ray to determine if Patches has a collapsing trachea. You can give Patches some Benadryl which may help slightly with the cough tonight. What is his weight - I will give you a dose...

Customer:

20 lbs

Customer:

children benadryl?

Dr. Matt :

Adult strength is better. You can give him one tablet or 25 mg every 12 hours. Benadryl can cause drowsiness, but is unlikely in dogs.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help!

Dr. Matt :

Good luck and your very welcome!

Customer:

I am sorry.....do I need to click the accept button for you to get paid the $18 ??

Dr. Matt :

Yes( if I was helpful )I do appreciate it!

Customer:

thanks again! bye