Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

Hi, my dog, Chase, keeps getting giardia over and over again.

Customer Question

Hi, my dog, Chase, keeps getting giardia over and over again. I have two dogs and our vet will treat both dogs each time. they do this so they don't keep giving it back to one another. I just can't keep putting them on meds all the time. PLEASE help!
This is not for a cat, it is for my 40 pound labordoodle.

Ann
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. What treatment has been used for this problem in the past? Does the problem go away completely, and then return?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Panacure, and metronitozol. Yes it goes away completely and then returns, but this time it did not go away.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks for the reply. Has it been confirmed to be Giardia each time there's been a flare-up? Or was it only tested for the first time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, it's been confirmed Giardia.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks. IN cases where the problem improves while on medication, and then recurs, there is most likely re-infection going on. This can occur from traces of feces on the coat, skin, or paws, being licked and ingested, or there can be infective cysts out in the environment where the dogs visit, and they may be reinfected easily if there's a source of cysts they are coming in contact with. Therefore, strict sanitation is 100% required, and it may be necessary to leash walk them in a different area for a month or so.

Another consideration is to try Azithromycin, which has been reported to be effective for some cases of Giardia.
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is Azithromycin a herb or a medication? If it's not an herb is there something I can give on a daily basis to prevent Giardia or to help in the aid of getting rid of Giardia?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
It is an antibiotic, not an herb. There are no herbs proven to be effective for prevention of Giardia, unfortunately. IN chronic cases, it's nearly always a problem with the environment, rather than a problem with the dog(s).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you have any suggestions on how i can control the enviroment where my dogs go out to? they have the run of two acres and it would be nearly impossible to catch them everytime they went to the bathroom. my dogs have been on meds 6 times since november 2010. i am ready to pull my hair out!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
If you can leash-walk only, for 4 to 6 weeks, then the cysts in their environment should dry out and die, as long as: 1) There is no area with standing water or very moist soil, and 2) There is no wild animal shedding giardia cysts into the environment.

There's also the option of trying a pro-biotic such as Culturelle or Florastor in the food daily, to see if you can build up some beneficial microbes in the colon, which MAY help defend against Giardia. It's worth a try.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you so much!!!
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome - I hope you can get this problem sorted out soon! :)