ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
59144988

why all of a sudden does my dog not want to go outside and

Customer Question

why all of a sudden does my dog not want to go outside and then when she does, she does her business and then runs with her tail tucked. Never happened before.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! Since she seems to not be in physical pain, it may be that something happened that you were unaware of when she was outside. The other thing I would check is to make sure she doesn't have feces adhered to her anal area.

If this is all clear, then I think the most likely explanation is she is scared. I've seen this happen with dogs that got shocked by an invisible fence too many times.

This is just an example but she could have been stung by a bee or possibly got frightened by thunder or even some other animal may have gone after her, if she isn't watched all the time when she is out.

Let me know if this sounds possible. If it is one of these things, you should go out with her and engage her in activity to get her used to going out without being scared. You can also take treats out to reward her and distract her.
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I take her out on a leash all the time and she is always excited to go for walks. She has been playing with the cicada's, but I didn't think they would hurt her, also I applied her flea med. to her the other day and put some farther on her back closer to the top of her tail. I checked her and her behind is clean. She also begs for cheese and hasn't for the last 3 days.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.
The other possibility is that she is experiencing back pain. That can be hard to detect when palpating a dogs back unless it is severe pain. Does she seem less active overall or is she unwilling to do stairs or jump on or off the couch or bed?
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.
If you see that she is having trouble with stairs or jumping or even acts painful (panting more, depressed, decreased appetite), she may have hurt her back. Let me know what you think. Thank you for the accept and if you have further questions regarding this issue, let me know.

Dr. Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She doesn't mind jumping off of beds or jumping on the couch. She is not active and usually runs to the door when we come in and she doesn't now. She will wag her tail and just look up at us. Our vet told us a few months ago that shih-tzu's are prone to buldging disc like adults and he pressed on her back and she moaned a little, but she is not whining or making any noise.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 3 years ago.
It is possible it is a disk, a mild one right now. The treatment for it is exercise restriction and pain medication. One of the ways we sometimes distinguish pain from behavioral causes of this type of change is to use an effective pain reliever and see if there is an improvement. If there is no improvement at all, it is probably not pain. Maybe talk to your vet about trying a pain reliever called metacam or rimadyl and see if she acts better.