CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My chihuahua is losing her hair and the black skin shows. She

My chihuahua is losing her hair and the black skin shows. She is turning colors from a blonde to a black dog. Is something wrong with her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When did this start?

Where on the body is this hair loss and pigment change?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This started within the past year. The hair loss includes part of her face and head, her legs, and her underbelly.
While there are many possible causes (allergies, skin infections, endocrine or organ disease), This breed is commonly known to get just what you describe, known as seasonal or endocrine alopecia.

This is seen as a change over the sides of the body (flanks) in the hair thickness and color. It commonly manifests as a darker color in the fur (hyperpigmentation) and even hair loss.

In these cases, a skin biopsy would help in making this diagnosis, as well as ruling out other causes such as skin infections or other endocrine diseases.

If the hair does not regrow, or you would like to discuss medical therapy with your vet, melatonin is recommended in these cases.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.