Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.

my dog is bitten by a cottonmouth snake 5 hours ago half of

Customer Question

my dog is bitten by a cottonmouth snake 5 hours ago half of his mouth and neck is swollen she is 1 year old black lab whatcan I do to relieve the swollen
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 5 years ago.
The best you can do to help bring down the swelling would be to give Bailey a Benadryl capsule and about 400mg Aspirin. These can be given every 8 hours for the Benadryl, and every 12 hours for the aspirin. If there is no improvement in a day or two, I would recommend a vet visit. You will also need to watch closely for signs of infection, as snake bites are very dirty and can become infected quickly.