Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

My dog has a red ring with a red dot in the center on her stomach,

My dog has a red ring with a red dot in the center on her stomach, what can it be from?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 years ago.

Dr Aaron :

Hello this is Dr. Aaron

Customer:

Hi

Dr Aaron :

has your dog spent any time outdoors recently (past day)?

Customer:

Yes

Dr Aaron :

is she otherwise doing well (eating/drinking normally, good activity level, etc)?

Dr Aaron :

is it just a single site?

Customer:

seems a little less active, but we are having unusually hot weather. there is only one ring right now

Dr Aaron :

ok very good...ill be right back

Customer:

okay

Dr Aaron :

is she scratching at her stomach at all?

Customer:

Doesn't seem to be

Dr Aaron :

Full Size Image

Dr Aaron :

does it look anything like this?

Dr Aaron :

Full Size Image

Dr Aaron :

can you see that picture?

Dr Aaron :

hello?

Customer:

no i am not able to view it

Dr Aaron :

I was trying to get a good picture, but that's okay.

Dr Aaron :

based on what you're describing, what is on Lexi's abdomen is most likely a black fly bite.

Dr Aaron :

They are starting to come out over the past week or two

Customer:

It looks like a bulls eye about the size of a dime

Dr Aaron :

this bite tends to result in a red ring with a red dot in the center that is about the size of a nickel/dime and most often found on the abdomen

Dr Aaron :

they do not tend to be itchy or cause scratching

Dr Aaron :

there is no need to do anything for these bites. I would recommend continuing to keep a close eye on her abdomen to see if it changes, but I would not be concerned at this point.

Customer:

should i take her to the vet

Dr Aaron :

If more of these lesions appear you could consider contacting your local vet to purchase some 'pet gard' product...which is good at keeping these black flies away

Dr Aaron :

Unless the spot changes or she is showing signs of illness there is no need to take her to your local vet, the lesion should resolve by itself over the next few days

Customer:

I have her on frontline top spot is that "pet guard"

Dr Aaron :

Frontline is labeled for preventing/killing fleas and ticks. It is not useful in preventing black flies

Dr Aaron :

Here is a link to Pet Gard.

Dr Aaron :

I'm sorry I spelled it wrong. It is PetGuard

Dr Aaron :

This would be a reasonable product to talk to your local vet about if more of these lesions appear

Dr Aaron :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

can you use pet guard along with front line/

Dr Aaron :

Yes you can

Customer:

okay thank you so much!!

Dr Aaron :

you're welcome. I would appreciate it if you could click on the accept button so that I could be compensated for my time. Have a good night

Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience: Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people