ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
59144988

Can my dog get diareah from eating cat poop, and other animal

Customer Question

Can my dog get diareah from eating cat poop, and other animal poop, from out in the yard?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.

ER Vet :

Hello, I'm Dr. Chris Smith and I'd like to help!

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

hello

ER Vet :

As disgusting as this habit is, most dogs don't get diarrhea directly from eating the poop of cats, dogs or other yard animals such a s rodents. They can pick up parasites that can lead to diarrhea over time however. What are you seeing?

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

greenish, loose stools, dark green

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

several times a day for two days so far

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

but she's eating and acting fine otherwise

ER Vet :

Thanks, has she done this throughout her life or is this a recent habit she has picked up?

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

what, the eating cat poop?

ER Vet :

Yes, also any other diet changes reently?

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

fairly recently, no other diet changes. same dog food for many,many months

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

she was just at the vet for her annual about a month ago, and a clean bill of health

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

she is an indoor dog

ER Vet :

Dogs are really drawn to the taste of at feces. It is the rare dog that won't eat them, actually. I think it is probably unrelated to her stool changes. I would recommend trying standard conservative treatment for diarrhea, feed boiled chicken and rice over the next 2 days and see if they become more normal. If there is no improvement or you notice blood in the stool, loss of appetite or vomiting, I would recommend an exam and a fecal analysis for parasites, if that wasn't done at her most recent visit.

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

OK, I'll try the chicken and rice..........thanks. Where or how would she get parasites. Sand?

ER Vet :

The parasites could come from the cat poop, if the cat has them. Dogs and cats can get parasites outside by walking through contaminated soil and then licking their feet later. The eggs are microscopic so you wouldn't necessarily see them. There are a lot of causes of diarrhea however, many of which resolve. Immodium and other human medications don't seem to be very effective for diarrhea that doesn't clear up with a bland diet.

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

OK, I understand. I also have cats, but they've been given clean bills of health also and stay in the house so, I give up. Can it be that she "just has diarreah?"

ER Vet :

Yes, could be. If they have had stool samples checked in the last 6 months or so and none of the pets hav had parasites, then it is probably either "just diarrhea" or some other cause such as a virus, dietary indiscretion or other internal medical problem. Its good that she is acting ok otherwise and I'm hopeful it will improve in the next day or two.

JACUSTOMER-4q4yypss- :

OK, thanks. If it persists, I will get her to our vet. Have a good evening sir.

ER Vet :

Thank you and good luck!