Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my dog has a mole on his leg that is bleeding. What is best

my dog has a mole on his leg that is bleeding. What is best way to stop the bleeding?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question about Sammy. Typically, if 15-20 minutes of steady gentle pressure does not stop the bleeding, then you may need to take Sammy to your veterinarian to have the area cauterized, or to have the lump removed surgically. Most of these lumps and bumps will become sources of chronic irritation and bleeding or oozing if left alone - so surgical removal in these cases is often the best way to go in the long run.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
By steady, gentle pressure are you suggesting I personally apply pressure to the area for 15 - 20 minutes? Just wrapping in gauze won't do the trick?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
correct, it is difficult to get a wrap to apply adequate pressure without being so tight as to cut off circulation. Either way, I do not think that this area will heal completely even if the bleeding stops - but you can try.