Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my shih tzu just suddenly started walking funny. This morning

my shih tzu just suddenly started walking funny. This morning he vomited a little (no food, just bile) and this afternoon when I took him for a walk he started walking very, very slowly. Normally he's perky and excited, but today he seems to be having trouble walking at anything other than a snail's pace. His nose is usually cold and wet and it's warm and dry. What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Any vomiting or diarrhea?

2- Take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Any known trauma or falls?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He vomited a little this morning - no food, just bile. He also vomited yesterday morning the same way - just a little, no food, just bile.

I don't know of any traumas or falls

No preexisting medical conditions that I know of.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

1- Is he eating?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

4- Can you take a rectal temperature?

5- Is he arching his back?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
His gums are pretty pink, not pale

I wear wax earplugs at night. He once found one a few weeks ago and ate it. He's been fine since, however, last night one of my earplugs fell out and I cannot find it. He sleeps in our room at night and I'm concerned that he may have found it and eaten it without my knowing. They are soft wax that can be shaped to fit the ear, about the size of a nickel.

I'm not able to take a rectal temp.

He is not arching his back.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

Is he eating?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He did eat this morning and he seems fine with eating. He loves to eat though - he would eat anything if he could.

I checked the package for the earplugs and it said not to worry if your child or pet eats them because they are safe and non-toxic and they will pass right through normally.

Should I try to get him to eat something now?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

Last question, and I will tell you what I think, give some time to type the answer.

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know exactly because I think he's gained a little weight in the past few weeks. My husband was definitely over-feeding him. I finally got him to stop feeding him so much about 4 days ago.

We are now feeding him about 6-8 ounces of food every day, usually rice and cooked meat, sometimes with vegetables. Usually in the morning.

His bowel movements are regular.

I believe Buddhi weighs about 15 pounds. He's a little on the chubby side, but not much. You can feel his ribs but not see them.

I just gave him a little piece of meat and he sucked it right up very happily.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with musculoskeletal pain like a pinch nerve along the back or a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. Less likely it could be abdominal pain. Ideally, he should be seen by a veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Start him on one Aspirin 81mg every 12 hours with some food.

2- Rest him, limit all physical activity except to go outside to urinate and defecate.

3- Follow up with your family veterinarian. If he happens to lose the complete function to any of his limbs, that would be an emergency and have him checked by a veterinarian immediately.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter