Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

How much benadryl liquid can I give my 14 pound Maltese for

How much benadryl liquid can I give my 14 pound Maltese for itching
I prefer benadryl anyway.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

With liquid, if about 2.5mg per ml, then you could give about 5-6mls of liquid. That's a touch more than 1 teaspoon. You may be better off giving a 1/2 tablet instead.

If unsuccessful, you may need to get into a vet to determine if there is a allergy or other cause that requires better therapy. Only about 30% of dogs do any better with itching on antihistamines.

Good Luck

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The benadryl bottle says 8ounces or 237ml so how much then of the liquid
It should say how many mg per ml on the bottle.

8 ounces is only total volume of bottle.

If children's benadryl.

Then the dose of a little more than 1 teaspoon is correct.