Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

my rat terrier has had diarrhea for the past couple days.

my rat terrier has had diarrhea for the past couple days. There is now blood in his stool. My vets office is closed today, what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it does appear that Edward has a mild digestive disturbance.the blood in the stool is due to the irritation of the diarrhea on the very sensitive rectal mucosa that causes small blood vessels to break and bleed. Once the diarrhea resolves, this will stop. If this is minor and due to something he ate or stress, the best thing to do for now is to fast him for 24 hrs. At the same time, you can give Imodium AD 2 mg caplets at 1 caplet per 30 pounds of Edward’s weight given every 8 hrs.

After the fast, feed a meal of boiled chicken ¼ and rice ¾. If this has helped, wean him onto the regular meal over 2 day’s period.

It is extremely important to have your dog seen immediately by a vet if your dog continues to have severe diarrhea during the fast. Even the dehydration from this can cause him severe complications.

If this is not successful, you will have to have your vet examine Edward to determine if there is something else such as a protozoa or infection that is causing this diarrhea.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for the response. Edward is 8 pounds, so how much imodium should he be given?
Give Edward 1/4 caplet of a 2 mg caplet every 8 hrs.

Have a Great Day!